Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 2: Personal Finance Course - Know Your Net Worth


This is part two of Personal Finance series where I share guides to get you started on personal finance. If you haven't, read Day 1: Setting Financial Goals and do the task in that post before proceeding with the post below.

Copyright Alan Cleaver

Taking Stock

One time, I got a call from a friend who was visiting Makati for the first time.

He called with a panic tone on his voice “Ton, I am lost. I need to be at this building by 11am for an important meeting and I don’t know if I will reach it in time”

“Where are you?” I responded

"I don't know" he replies. "That's why I called you. I am lost. I don't know where I am. You have to help me. You are familiar with this place than I am"

On my mind I was thinking, this guy is being smarty pants. Why should I help him with that sarcastic response?

Anyway, I kept my cool and answered “I cannot help me if you don’t tell me where exactly you are now. What do you see? What are the stores, buildings or any landmark around you?

He responded and with the descriptions he told me, I was able to guide him from Point A to Point B.

The same concept goes for personal finance. If we have identified where we want to go after setting our financial goals, we also need to know where we stand. If you have goals and plans, know where you are currently and plan how to reach that goal and plan based on where you stand.

How to know your Net Worth

Task: List down all your assets and liabilities to know your net worth.

  1. List all your assets
  2. List all your liabilities
  3. Compute your networth = (Assets minus Liabilities)


Grab your pen and paper or open an excel or word document. Here is a copy of a workbook you can print and download if needed.

List down all your savings account, your cash, and all the investment that you have.  Those are what you call assets. Asset are future sources of income or money.

No. Please don’t include that mighty iphone 5 that you are holding. Or that expensive bags that you own.
Just limit that assets to your cash, savings account, current account, mutual fund and investments. I do not want to include your gadgets or those expensive bags because they are rarely source of income.

If you insists including them, then tell me that you don’t really need it on a day to day basis and if I ask you to sell it now you can and you will. If you cannot say yes, do not include them.

Next are liabilities,

Grab your credit card statement and include it under the liabiliies. If you own someone money, you should include it too. If you have PAG-IBIG loans, company loans, SSS loans and all loans, you should include them under the liabilities.

Now that you have both assets and liabilities, add them up. Add the value of your assets separately and then add up the value of your liabilities separately. Do you like what you are seeing?

For the final step, do this “Assets – Liabilities = Net Worth”.
Say if you assets totaled to P100,000 and your liabilities added up to P20,000 then your net worth is P80,000.

Purpose of Knowing Your Net Worth

So why do we need to know the net worth? We need it because it represents our financial value as of now. If you see a positive number it is a good sign. If is a large amount, then I say you have a good net worth. Is there an ideal number? I have not seen anything published but I will like to share what I got from “The Millionaire Next Door”.

What's the ideal net worth?


The book offered the below formula for calculating what your net worth should be

Target Net Worth = Age X Annual PreTax Income / 10

Now, if pretax income is confusing to you, then just use your annual salary or your annual net income. I don’t want to discuss on this post what’s a pre tax income is but to simplify it just you your annual income whatever it is.

Example? For a 23 year old single guy who earns P240,000 a year, his target net worth should be
Target Net Worth = 23 X P240,000 / 10 = P552,000
Do I use this formula? Actually no. Why? Because I am not interested in a dictated formula from a book but I rather have a networth that matches my financial goals.
And setting financial goals is the third topic for this five day personal finance.
So that’s it. Very easy right?


Financial Net Worth
Image from www.seniorliving.org

Tasks Summary
1.     List down your assets
2.     List down your liabilities
3.     Compute for your net worth (Formula: Assets – Liabilities = Net Worth)

Bonus Task
Now that you know your net worth, how does that make you feel? Are you happy about it? Are you glad? Did it make you sad? Whatever your reactions are write them down.

Topic for tomorrow is your Income and Expenses

If it's important to you, you will find a way. If it's not important to you, you will find an excuse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...