Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's in it for me?



Hi! How are you doing?
I've been busy lately helping my wife get our household compliant with the Kasambahay Law. Funny thing because i was a compliance officer before. I spend my day reviewing people activities and i am that person who points out that a department is non-compliant with a policy or a regulation. I was that guy who tells you that you need to comply. Now, my wife is the compliance officer in the house and she tells me we need to get this done for us (the household) to be compliant.
Really weird to be that someone who has to take action to be compliant. I am used to be on the other side of the coin. Someone who informs people about non-compliance rather being that someone who is taking action to be compliant.
Nevertheless, this is a good feeling. To take action. Taking action always bring good feelings.
Anyhow, do drop by at my wife's blog here if you want to learn more about the Kasamabahay Law and how to get your household compliant.

Book Series

Next is the book series. One of my goals for the year is to complete reading 12 books. I am on track. (Thankfully!) I am reposting the links below in case you want to read my posts before buying the books and reading them yourself.
1.       The Happiness Project
2.       The Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
3.       The Winning Attitude
4.       How to Work a Room
6.       Eat That Frog!
7.       Awaken the Giant Within
8.       Fish! Omnibus
Going back to the Kasambahay law, my wife has been pushing me to be compliant. She’s been telling me about the Kasambahay law in more detail. Before, the only thing I knew about it was employers have to pay and contribute SSS, PhilHealth and PAG-IBIG to our househelp. Other than that, I know nothing else.
She’s becoming like my mom. Even before the kasambahay law was passed into a bill, my mom has been telling me to enroll our househelps in all of these government institutions. She even volunteered to pay for the contributions like what she is doing for my sister’s kasambahay. Sadly though, I never found time to help them register until recently.
I acted not because my wife nor my mother nagged told me but more so because I got to understand the importance of being compliant and helping the people who help maintain my family.
Since lianne and I both work, my family will not really progressed without our kasambahays. They take care of our kids while we are away and maintain the cleanliness of our house. Sure, they are being paid for that but they are both responsible and show genuine interest in the well-being of our kids. These two are something not included in the monetary benefit that they are getting.
Going back to taking action, my wife got me to act on it not because she wants it done but because she was able to phrase the need to act using my point of view.


And that is one of the few pointers I got from reading the book “How to win Friends and Influence People”.  All of us are interested in our own individual desires. Admit it or not but most people will act if the action will give them what they desire.  
“What’s in it for me?” will be the ever present question for everyone before someone will act on something. And that’s how you will influence people. Talk them in their point of view.


This pointer is very relevant to me being an auditor and being one of the change agents in the company. Most of the time, I talk to people about gaps or errors in the processes that requires them to do something about it. I realized that I am most effective when I share my findings and observations to them by telling them what’s in it for them if they do what I am suggesting them they do.
And that’s my quick post about my book for the month of September. I am about quarter done with the book and I am loving all the reminders and the nuggets of wisdom I am picking.
 How about you? What are you doing this month of September? Whatever it is, just do it and don’t tell me that “Wake me up when September ends” quote that’s been trending since the beginning of the month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...