Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Time and Money

One of the profound nugget of wisdom I heard from my professor back in graduate school "whoever has the budget is the priority". He is talking about corporate world on the area of how management allocates the company's resources to meet its goals and objectives. He adds that wherever the resources goes, thatnis the company's priority without the need of words. A good example is on training. Even if a manager consistentlty talks about how he values the importance of training and development for his employees yet no budget is being made for this expenditure, then it is all crap.


This time, I wanted to extend the concept in our daily life. In the concept of time. All of us are in equal footing. All of us are given 24 hours in a given day. No distinction. Whether you are rich or you are poor, we all have 24 hours to spend in a day.

Now, go back and see where you are spending your time. If you constantly say you will get healthy, how much time did you spend yesterday in ways that will make you healthy? If not much then I am telling you that getting healthy was not your priority. If you say, getting this project in front of you is your topmost priority but you end up spending more time updating your facebook status or checking your twitter timeline then that project was never really your priority.

This is also true for projects that require collaboration. For a month of so, I had some trouble finding a common time for several executives to be in the same room at yhe same time to address an issue that on my end is a priority. I struggled coz every now and then, one of them will have an excuse about going to another important meeting. That's when i realized that while it is a priority on my end, itnever was on their end. So i have to find something that will make the issue a priority on their plate. Make them realize that this tadpole is a priority. And i did. I escalated and true enough, i was able to find a common time and get them to discuss and plan an action.

I want to close this by asking you to go back and see where you are spending your time. I am now making this a habit in addition to reviewing where my money goes. What do you think?

Your time is your life. Period. How you spend it ends up being what your life is.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...