Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Science of Getting Rich - is there?


This is the first post of the "book review" series I will be posting in the following weeks. I can't exactly call them review but rather me trying to summarize what the book is all about and the learnings i picked up from the book. This is more about what the book suggests we do rather than if you should read it or not.



When I started reading
I started reading books when I was in elementary. I studied in a public elementary school and you know how public schools here in the Philippines operate. They work with a small budget and to augment the small budget, they teach pupils manual labor. It is a win-win situation really. Students learn how to garden, fix stuff and the school gets its needed maintenance for free.

Continuing on my story, i got exposed in reading books when one of my teachers asked me to help move books in the library. I vaguely remember the even except that at that time there are tons of books donated in our small library. Together with three of my friends, I was asked to help arrange them and put them in the shelves. I guess one of the reason i was asked to do that because of the my built. I was heavy even as a child and with that built, carrying heavy sacks of books will be an ease.

So there we were, carrying books and putting them on the shelves. During breaks, i got to read stories which are very entertaining. I think i was so much engrossed in reading books that i missed some of my classes. I can't help it. I think that was the first time i learned that there are books other than the prescribed books for a grade level. 

My teacher noticed it too that I was way spending too much time. She reprimanded me for missing my classes armed with a reason "I am helping in the library". She told me that I should know my priorities; studying and not reading books in the library. She even instructed the librarian that beginning that day i am no longer allowed to help in the library. I guess she hates it when one of her good performing students is always absent in her class.

Moving on with a long backgrounder, let's talk about the book The Science of Getting Rich

The Science of Getting Rich
Getting hold of the book, i was expecting a detailed step by step about getting rich. After all that's what science is. A systematized process. Alas, the books does not exactly do that. (Blame me for expecting that. LOL) The key point of the book as i get is to develop a vision and focus all your efforts towards that vision.

Points raised in the book
  • Getting rich is not dependent upon your engaging in some particular business but upon your learning to do things in Certain Way
  •  Begin in your present business and in your present location to do things in certain Way which causes success

 The books says the everyone has the opportunity to become rich. It is not about being in a certain business. It is about being in a business or activity where you can deliver the most value by using what you know. If you know something, then that's good. If not, everything can be studied and learned. The book also adds that we should be in the activity that we love. Maybe that's a no-brainer or even a cliche for some but it feels good to be reminded of that.


Quotable Quotes
  • To think what you want to think is to think TRUTH, regardless of appearances
  • It is necessary then to cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you; and to give thanks continuously
  • To get rich, I only need to use my will power upon myself
  • When i know what to think and do, then I must use my will to compel myself to think and do the right things. That is the legitimate use if the will in getting what i want - to use it in holding myself to the right course. Use my will to keep myself thinking and acting in the certain way
  • If i want to help the poor, i need to demonstrate to them that they can become rich; prove it by getting rich myself
  • Thought is the creative power ir the impelling force which causes the creative power to act; thinking in a certain way will bringriches to you but you must not rely upon thought alone paying no attention to personal action
  • All i have to do is to retain my vision, stick to my purpose and maintain my faith and gratitude
  • I cannot act where i am not, i cannot act where i have been and i cannot act where i am going to be, i can only act where i am
  • I can only advance by being larger than my present place
  • I will get rich most satisfactorily if i do that which i want to do
  • Never allow yourself to feel disappointed. You may expect to have a certain thing at a certain time and not get it at that time; and this will appear to you like failure but if i hold to my faith i will find that my failure is only apparent.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...